Design Ideas for Custom Decks
When planning your new custom deck, there are a number of designs, patterns, and styles to choose from. Below are a few of the more popular ideas.
- 45-Degree Decking – the deck boards run at a 45-degree angle to the joists.
- 90-Degree Decking – the deck boards run in the opposite direction to the joists.
- Picture Frame Border – a board that runs around the full perimeter of the deck. Usually the boards are a different color from the decking to create a contrast. Can also be a double, triple, quadruple board design.
- End Boards – boards that are placed at the end of the deck, running perpendicular to the decking. In composite decks the end boards help create a finished look.
- Dividing Deck Boards – also known as Breaker Boards. They are dividing boards that separate the length of the deck and are placed perpendicular to the decking boards.
- Multi-Angle Deck Boards (Herringbone) – utilizing boards in multiple angles resulting in striking designs. The most popular of these is the Herringbone design.
With such a wide range in choice of materials, color, stain, and design, Decks by Schmillen can help ensure you get the custom built design to wish to achieve.